[Healeys] Cam shoe rod sticking

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 21 19:30:32 MST 2011

All - The little roller referred to is actually a fibre roller - not
leather.  The problem is that over the years the roller gets stiff, won't
roll properly and the cam shoe wears a flat spot on it from the sliding
action.  I've done the piece of brass throttle shaft fix a few times - works
well.  When my carb rebuilder did my carbs, he simply replaced the cam
rod/shoe/roller assemblies with new replacement parts from Burlen.  I'm sure
that the rollers in the new parts are metal, not fibre.

Further to Steve's post, when I was setting everything up, I f**ted around
for hours with different versions of ball-point pen springs / washers, etc.
Couldn't get the choke function to work really 'happily'.  Went back to the
tried and true system that has worked for me for 30 years with my BJ8 -
lever return assist springs, just like the dealers used back in the day to
deal with the same problem.  In my case, I use a couple of the throttle
return springs hooked to the hydraulic pipe right below the carbs, and the
choke levers.  For ease of servicing, I sort of crimp the lower spring hook
so that it won't fall off the pipe when the top hook is released.  It has
worked for me all those years - the 'weight' on the choke cable system is
just about right at the dash.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb