[Healeys] old oil for an old car?

Bob Johnson bjsbj8 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 14:18:39 MST 2011

Won't argue that today's oils are more advanced. Don't know why oil
would oxidize in a metal can. Probably this is one of those things
where we all have opinions, but very little knowledge of the chemistry
of motor oil. What I'd do; Take a can and turn it upside down for a
few days so that the "sludge" that was mentioned can fall back up
through the oil. Then open a can. Pour the oil into a clear container,
letting it drain very well. Then look at. Is it is a nice light color
like new oil? Smell it. Does it smell OK? Does it feel OK? If all
seems OK, then I would use it, but then I'm really cheap. I probably
would be inclined to maybe use it half and half with new oil (somehow
I expect to be taken to task on this), but again this is just my
opinion.

If you decide that it is best not to use it, then sell it by the quart
on ebay as a collectible/antique with a buy it now price of $6 per qt.

Bob Johnson
BJ8