[Healeys] Dual Circuit Brakes

Dave Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Sat Mar 26 05:46:41 MST 2011

Richard is correct, early E's used 2 twin masters S3 and 12cyl switched to a
dual circuit master.

frogeye at porterscustom.com

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107
505-352-1378
1954 BN2  1959 AN5
Porter Custom Bicycles

cars:
 www.britishcarforum.com/portercustoms.html
gallery:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porterscustombicycles/PorterCustomBicyclesStuff

GO HERE: http://porterbikes.com/  nice pictures-fun facts-my world

Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dual Circuit Brakes

::: Sigh::: Is this thing on?
The change to dual circuit brakes took place with the 1968 model year.
Don't believe me?
Go look at the Moss catalog.
MGB tells the story
The listing are:
MGB Single line system 1962-1967
MGB Dual line non-servo system 1968-1974.5
Looking at the Triumph listings TR-4s are single systems, and TR-250s (1968)
are dual line systems
Moss doesn't have pictures of an Etype brake system So I had to dig out my
complete and official E type.
The series 1 had a totally dual circuit system with dual master cylinders.
This shows the Jags racing heritage, not Federal regulation.
The Series 1.5 and 2 had a dual circuit single master cylinder with a servo
system.  The hydraulic diagram clearly shows that one circuit feeds the
front brakes, the other the rears.
And Trust me Charlie, Volvo did it for 1968, but when they got rolling they
did dual circuits they really did dual circuits.  Two separate circuits in
each front caliper, and single circuit in each rear.  So one circuit had 1/2
of each front wheel, and one rear wheel.  Lose one circuit and you still had
braking in each front wheel and one rear wheel. Interesting front calipers
on these cars, two hydraulic lines and 3 bleed screws.