[Healeys] fuel pump points

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 13:23:46 MDT 2011

re: " One pump has a diode (little white pancake thing)"

Most diodes are cylindrical or spherical (the OEM diodes are large black 'barrels' with two flexible leads). That sounds more like a capacitor; depending on the type it might have been fried when you reversed the car's polarity.

I fought this issue for years; tried all manner of diodes and capacitors. My experience is:

- (by extrapolation) no diode or capacitor: pump will work for 2-3K miles at best before causing problems
- (by experience) capacitor only: pump will work 3-5K miles
- (by experience) diode: pump will work for 5-8K miles
- (by experience) 'transistorized' (power transistor switched by original points): pump will work for 8-12K miles

I finally bit the bullet and put an SU solid state (Hall Effect) pump in; has worked for over 20K miles.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA