[Healeys] Towing advice

Rich Chrysler richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sat Jul 9 10:29:07 MDT 2011

I've towed everything from rusted hulks to Concours winners on my trailer
using the following method.

I use two long ratchet type straps and run one from a hook on the front
right area of the trailer, inboard of the front wheels, up over the chassis
just behind the engine mount, across to the other chassis rail just behind
its engine mount, and running inboard of the front wheel, back out to the
front left trailer anchor hook.

Next I run the second strap anchored from the rear left of the trailer, up
inboard of the rear left wheel of the car, over the chassis rail just ahead
of the trunk bulkhead, across to the right chassis rail just ahead of the
panhard rod bracket, then run the strap back to the rear right of the car,
staying inboard of the rear right wheel.

I apply cushioning cloths to all 4 contact areas on the chassis rail corners
so the straps won't be cut and paint won't be chafed. Then the front and
rear straps can be ratcheted down against each other, the two of them
forming a >  < at the front and back. The car will not move at all in any
direction using this method and becomes one with the trailer.

I've towed a lot of healeys on my trailer over the years and I always have
found this to work extremely well for me.

Rich