[Healeys] Compression ratio for a fast road 100

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Fri Jan 14 08:58:44 MST 2011

Although our experience is mostly with "S" headed 100 engines I would hasten
to point out that many hours of dyno testing has indicated to us that trying
to get more power by increasing the usable RPM range from a normally
aspirated 100 style, long stroke, engine is not very successful.
Modifications to these engines with the intention of  improving the 3 -5000
RPM breathing produce good results and, because the standard valve train and
springs, when in good condition, are quite adequate up to 6000 RPM, efforts
to reduce valve train weight may produce only a marginal increase in
reliability and will make little or no difference to power.
Actual results may vary etc etc....

Michael Salter