[Healeys] Fw: volt drop

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 13:46:35 MDT 2011

Joel

A larger diameter cable will do no harm and perhaps give the starter a
little more 'sparkle' but the original cable to the correct
specification with good terminations is quite adequate.

2 volts drop is not that great. Bear in mind that the official test
specification for 'our' M45G starter is

Torque at 1000 r.p.m.: 15.5 lb.ft with 570 amp at 8.8 terminal voltage

Lock Torque 32.5 lb.-ft with 900 amps 6.4 terminal voltage.

This with fully charged 115 amp.hr battery at 10-hour rate.

So taking the first 1000 r.p.m. as being a typical starting figure we
have about 4 volts drop and this with short test leads used on the rig
and a good high capacity battery.

It is more likely that your battery has an increased internal resistance
due to age etc.

Before changing anything else I would try an alternative battery.

Regards

--
John Harper