[Healeys] Ashtray style

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 7 20:24:00 MDT 2011

John:

I'm just working my way through this ashtray thing right now.  The new
astray I bought - sourced fro Autofarm in Ontario - will not take the
original insert without a lot of fiddling, at least the one I got didn't.
The lids 'legs' are bowed - not flat to the ashtray body sides - which they
have to be to clear the insert when it's installed.  The 'new' insert is
much narrower so the 'bowed' legs clear with no problem.  Hard to explain,
but immediately clear once the whole mess is in your hands.  I 'unbowed' the
legs in order to stay with the original insert - receptacle and lid - it
worked fairly well.  The chrome shop is having another go at the original
body / lid, and I should see it in a couple of days.  I'll use whichever
arrangement comes out best.  Am I nuts with this or what!

If you go the re-chroming route, make sure that the chrome shop understands
how the parts fit together and work.  There's very little clearance - if the
plating gets too thick, the lid will bind on the body and you won't have
that 'concours snap'.  For me, the cost of re-chroming was about the same as
a new ashtray - around $60.00 or so.

Let me (us) know what route you choose.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.