[Healeys] Intermittent OD:the answer

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 09:43:56 MDT 2010

  I've always blipped the throttle when I disengage the O/D, just like any other downshift (except I just lightly tap
the clutch pedal).  I never thought of it before, but this has the added benefit of making sure the O/D is disengaged
before coming to a stop (and maybe shifting into reverse).  However, I gotta think the O/D would disengage anyway when
the RPMs drop to where the pump can no longer keep the O/D clutch disengaged.

The exception is when you're following a slow vehicle at part-throttle, throw the O/D switch to off when you get a
chance to pass, then hit the throttle to get a 'kickdown' when you punch it.

Also, I bought a new, spare solenoid years ago so, obviously, the one that's installed will never fail.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net