[Healeys] After 5 year layup - Starting Help

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 10:17:39 MDT 2010

Joe

With the 100 engine I would not be overly concerned about just starting
it in the normal way after checking the obvious. Perhaps the fuel might
have become a little 'waxy' but this should not cause a problem and if
it flows OK it will clear as the tank is topped up with new fuel

I had something similar but with an engine that stood for 12 years after
it had done 43,00 miles. I had turned it over a couple of times but not
as frequently as I should have done.

The engine started OK but was running a little rough and I soon realised
that the exhaust was 'puffy'. A couple of valves were sticking so a
applied penetrating oil to the valve stems and then ran the engine. In a
few minutes everything cleared and the engine ran sweetly. I changed the
oil and filter twice, once when the engine had warmed up fully and then
after about 100 miles because I was not sure what the penetrating oil
might do. The engine has now done another 20 plus thousand miles and is
fine.

I don't believe that you have anything to be concerned about.

Regards

--
John Harper