[Healeys] Clutch question

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Sep 2 22:05:24 MDT 2010

Good question.

I have always assumed the bores were treated, since they have a slick,
shiny surface which isn't characteristic of untreated aluminum, which is
usually porous and dull in appearance.

A quick question to Mr. Google returned:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5940980_rebuild-wheel-cylinder.html

"Hone the inside of the wheel cylinder with a wheel cylinder hone,
attached to an electric drill, if the cylinder is made of cast iron or
steel. Aluminum wheel cylinders should never be honed. Aluminum wheel
cylinders have a hard, protective, anodized surface inside to prevent
corrosion. Honing will remove this surface and cause excessive corrosion
and wear. Instead, clean the inside of the aluminum cylinder with soapy
water and a green scotch-brite pad to remove debris that collects in the
cylinder bore."

I'm surprised the treatment is anodizing, because I always thought of
that as a superficial treatment--not a hardening process--but apparently
it does harden the surface.

bs

<http://www.ehow.com/how_5940980_rebuild-wheel-cylinder.html#ixzz0yR5G4tnG>

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net