[Healeys] buying a car in Canada????????

RCT2BNC at aol.com RCT2BNC at aol.com
Mon Oct 25 15:57:29 MDT 2010

Hi Ray,
In 2002 I purchased my AC Ace in Victoria British Columbia, What I did not
know was that since the car had never been registered in the US, I had to
pay a  federal excise tax to import the car. My car was at the border
crossing to I-5  from Canada, my truck from Passport was on the US side and the
restorer was not  allowed to deliver it. I finally was assigned an "agent" that
would do this  transaction at the port of entry over the phone with my
credit card. It was many  thousands of dollars!!!

Then, 2 years later the State of Arizona billed me for a state import tax
for a motor vehicle that was purchased out of the US.

Be prepared. Costs were based on the selling price of the car not a book
value.

Ben Cohen
Tucson
BN1, BN7, BJ8, Bugeyes and oh, yeah, a 1959 AC  Ace