[Healeys] AH100 Mean bearing caps needed

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 10:53:43 MDT 2010

Thomas

I don't have any spare caps but a colleague had the same problem. I had
two old but recoverable blocks without caps and he had caps from two
frost damaged blocks. The replacement caps had to be line bored as you
say but in order to not disturb the accuracy of the crankshaft location
his machinist first skimmed about 0.010" off each of the caps where they
mate with the block. These were then fitted and the line boring was
carried out in such a way as the cutter only 'kissed' the block but cut
into the caps. Just to be on the safe side an extra small section of
gasket material was added to the front and rear caps where the sump
gasket would otherwise be possibly a little lacking in pressure.

Regards

--
John Harper