[Healeys] FW: Leaf spring parts

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 09:05:56 MDT 2010

I definitely planned to keep an eye on the springs and report back as this whole process is a big question mark.  The hammering was not that hard/much, I just used a ball peen hammer.  So I hope the work hardening is not of consequence compared to the initial hardness of the springs, we'll see.

The metalworking group didn't seem to have a issue with cold pressing/hammering:  http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_thread/thread/5b616652a829b255

I read a lot on the hotrodder sites and there seem to be 2 schools of thoughts:  Cold arching (hammering,pressing) has it's fans reporting success on those forums vs. mostly commercial shops and their fans saying that the spring leafs need to be heat treated to erase memory effect.

Of course it's also human nature to report success more easily than failure or to place commercial interest first so the result of my research on the web is not very dependable (yet).

to be continued...

Bert