[Healeys] BJ7 clutch pedal travel

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Wed Nov 10 17:04:33 MST 2010

Frank,
Shimming the clutch master cylinder will change the fore/aft location of the
clutch pedal, but will not change the amount of travel. As I recall, adding
shims will move the pedal closer to the driver. To decrease the travel you
will need a larger master cylinder, but this change will also require higher
pedal pressure to operate it. I did this on my BJ8 and did not find the
increase in pedal pressure to be a problem & really like the shorter throw,
but the BJ8 clutch pressure plate id different form the earlier cars. Changing
the location of the clutch pushrod pivot point will also affect the travel,
but with the same tradeoff in pedal pressure. I went one size larger (1/8"
larger diameter).
Gary Hodson