[Healeys] Dipstick

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 10:04:10 MST 2010

The questions reminds me of the poor quality of Jaguar in the50's. I bought
a derelict XK140 Drophead that was sitting in the corner of the shop I
frequented. The young lady who had it had burned the motor up so it needed a
rebuild. One of the things needed was the dipstick. I bought one and it had
the part number stamped on it.

After the rebuild I was having trouble with oil pressure. After a while it
would go down precipitously. A check revealed the oil at the proper level. A
few tries, and the mechanic got smart. He drained all the oil out of the
sump and replaced it with the correct known quantity.When he checked the oil
level he found it over the mark. Apparently the dipstick, even though it had
the correct part number stamped on it, was marked incorrectly.

Jack