[Healeys] new water pump leak

andy pole ampole at hotmail.com
Wed May 26 13:16:03 MDT 2010

Guys

I have only started my car a few times on axle stands, and have traced a water
leak that is dripping from the bottom edge of the water pump and running down
the edge of the engine. Its a few drops every hour, since I started it again
yesterday.

I was going to pull the pump and change the gasket, again using a sealant on
both sides (will use blue hylomar instead of red hermatite this time, like I
used too), checking if its the coming up the stud or from the mating faces.

I have only got to fit the bonnet, grille and front bumper now, but would like
to sort this problem first. Hopefully there may be enough clearance on
removing the fan blades and the recored radiator to get the pump straight
out.

Reading the archives, it has been suggested that it could be the new pump and
running it dry on a drill might make the seal bed in? Please note I'm in the
UK (if suggesting a rebuild on a new pump). It was an SC Parts pump on offer
which I propably purchased 3 years ago.

any thoughts?

thanks Andy