[Healeys] stolen car

Marvin James britcrs at gmail.com
Sat May 15 17:05:32 MDT 2010

I have a friend that bought a Porsche 912 off a used car lot in San Diego in
about 1972. He moved to Arizona in '93 and had no trouble registering it
there. He sold it to a friend in Texas who resold it without reregistering
it. The new owner took it to the Texas DMV to register it. It turned out
that all this time it had been registered with the engine number (not an
original 912 engine). The DMV found the "hidden" VIN and determined that the
car had been stolen before my friend bought it and they impounded it. It
went before a justice of the peace and, since multiple insurance companies
had claims against it, the JOP said this is "too hard to sort out" - "crush
it".

Recognize that this is Texas law which bears no relation to law in the
civilized world.

I posted this as a reply to the original thread and got this message:

"Your mail to 'Healeys' with the subject

   Re: [Healeys] stolen car

The reason it is being held:

   Message body is too big: 4144 bytes with a limit of 3 KB"

The link to delete my replty doesn't work so if this shows up twice, -
sorry.