[Healeys] Screw terminals - keeping them connected?

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri May 14 07:36:23 MDT 2010

Not sure what you mean by 'screw terminals,'  like what our BN2 has on
the fuse block and regulator?  Don't know if there is much you can do to
secure them other than checking them occasionally.  Was advised not to
tin the end of the wires going into the terminals because the solder
'flows out.'  Sounds reasonable, but can't say for sure (we tinned them
anyway).  I suppose you could use thread locker (sparingly).

For other connectors--spade, lucar, ring, etc.--the crimp type are
preferred (over solder) in aircraft, but they use high quality
connectors and tools (the ratcheting type is best).  You can get special
aviation/marine grade connectors and tools that crimp them in two places
simultaneously--one clamps the bare wire and the other puts a strain
relief on the insulation.  The tools are ratcheting, and both the tool
and the connectors are expensive, but for critical applications I
believe they're worth it.  Heat shrink tubing on the connector makes
everything look tidy and professional.  Cheap connectors and tools are
almost guaranteed to fail eventually.

Here you'll find tools to make life easy (service from this company is
excellent).  I highly recommend the tool to connect bullet connectors
(SSC1):

http://www.britishwiring.com/CAT28_29.PDF

I've taken to putting dielectric grease in the bullet-type connections
to preclude corrosion.  This stuff is good:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/dc4.php

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net