[Healeys] Disc Brakes and vintage racing rules

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 13:55:18 MST 2010

In a message dated 3/31/10 12:01:16 PM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Richard,
> I totally believe what you are saying because I fitted MGA front disc
> brakes to the spindles on my MG TD street car and the difference in
> braking is like night and day.
> However, don't the various vintage racing organizations have rules
> pertaining to this sort of modification?  I've not seen any MG TDs
> racing with front disc brakes.  It is the same situation with fitting a
> later model's brakes to an earlier car's stub axles.
> I suppose that some organizations are more stringent than others.
> Correct?
> Thanks for your insight.
> Charlie Baldwin

Each individual vintage racing group has its own rules and interpretations
of them can change over time. That having been said, with my group (Classic
Sports Racing Group) as an example... We require our cars to be prepared
according to the SCCA rules of the time the person is using as their base time
period. These can be no later than 1967. So, during that period SCCA
permitted Healey drivers to upgrade their cars to more recent specifications
than
when they were built, including addition of front disc brakes, and larger
engines. In addition, a limited number of modifications were permitted,
including rear disc brakes and limited-slip differentials. Personally, I
wouldn't
race a Healey on the track, but many people do, with good result. I race an
MGA, with a 1622 engine, MGB front spindles and brakes, and a limited-slip
diff, but I'm required to use only two SU carbs, Girling box shocks, a
four-speed MGA transmission, etc.
Cheers
gary