[Healeys] Wheel/Tire Sizes for BN6 with Drum Brakes

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 17:26:16 MST 2010

Adam,
Why in the world would you want to race a 100-6 with drum brakes. You can
simply bolt up 3000 disc brakes to your 100-6 spindles. If you think you are
doing this to keep the car "original" then think again. A 3000 is a 100-6 with
disc brakes and 273 more cc's of engine displacement. Racing is dangerous.
Disc brakes allow you to race hard and stay alive, that's why race cars have
disc brakes.
There is no difference in the fitment or offset of drum brake cars . If you
are using wire wheels on a drum brake car then you cannot use the 60 spoke
wheels - there is spoke interference with the drum. Maybe you can use 72 spoke
wheels with drums - I do not know.
The spindles are the same on BN4, BN6, BN7, BT7, and BJ7 cars. There never was
any adjustment to "accommodate" drums.
l hope you will reconsider racing with drum brakes.
But, what do you consider "racing".

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:14:15 -0700
> From: adamnolde at yahoo.com
> To: healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: [Healeys] Wheel/Tire Sizes for BN6 with Drum Brakes
>
> All,
>
> I am in serious need of help.  I'm setting up my drum brake BN6 for racing.
I'm realizing there is an issue with the fitment of the wheels and tires.

> Currently the car has 4"x15" 48 spoke wheels with 165/80 rubber.  We have
removed the front spring and jacked the suspension up until the tire is inside
the fender.  There is less then 1/4" of room on the outside of the tire wall
for clearance.  However, on the inside of the wheel well I have enough room to
park a blimp.  I am seeing that everything is offset toward the outside of the
car to accommodate the brake drums.

> Hendrix suggested the Dayton 459 5"x15" 72 spoke wheel, which they generally
sell for BN1-2's with drum brakes.  It has a 3.38" offset.

> Does anyone have experience with 5" wheels on a drum brake BN6, if so, which
wheels are you using and what size rubber can you fit?  Does it make sense to
use the same width and offset both front and rear, or can I get an advantage
going to 5.5" rear wheel?

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/mayorrichard@hotmail.com