[Healeys] Wheel/Tire Sizes for BN6 with Drum Brakes

Adam Nolde adamnolde at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 13:14:15 MST 2010

All,

I am in serious need of help.  I'm setting up my drum brake BN6 for racing.  I'm realizing there is an issue with the fitment of the wheels and tires.

Currently the car has 4"x15" 48 spoke wheels with 165/80 rubber.  We have removed the front spring and jacked the suspension up until the tire is inside the fender.  There is less then 1/4" of room on the outside of the tire wall for clearance.  However, on the inside of the wheel well I have enough room to park a blimp.  I am seeing that everything is offset toward the outside of the car to accommodate the brake drums.

Hendrix suggested the Dayton 459 5"x15" 72 spoke wheel, which they generally sell for BN1-2's with drum brakes.  It has a 3.38" offset.

Does anyone have experience with 5" wheels on a drum brake BN6, if so, which wheels are you using and what size rubber can you fit?  Does it make sense to use the same width and offset both front and rear, or can I get an advantage going to 5.5" rear wheel?

I am also hoping to lower my suspension a little to make things even more difficult.

Regards,

adam nolde
HBJ8L30805
BN6L 2795