[Healeys] healboard lift a dot fastener position bj8

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Mon Mar 22 16:42:36 MST 2010

Andy,

I recently installed these fasteners into a BJ8 once the carpets and rear
seats had been installed. I had the car up on 4 sturdy axle stands with the
wheels off. The tonneau cover was final fitted complete with the tonneau bar
assembly. The tonneau was folded under to allow the snap down flaps to be
pulled down evenly so chalk marks could be established for where the
Lift-a-Dot studs need to be fitted. Then for cutting through the carpet, I use
a small 3/16" diameter hole punch and chucked it into a drill. This makes the
ideal clean hole through the carpet, and can be finished off by using a 3/16"
drill bit to complete the hole through the heel board. I had a spotter on the
inside (axle cavity area) to make sure I wasn't going to go through a fuel
line or wiring harness component. All worked out very well and when I placed
the male Lift-a-Dot stud through the hole, a helper working from in the axle
cavity ran on the locking washer and nut, tighening all.
I also use a small hole punch chucked in my electric drill to cleanly cut
through carpet underlay and the underfelt paper when installing the male
carpet snaps into the floors, etc. Nothing to catch and twist up, nothing to
unravel, just a clean hole through the materials.

Rich