[Healeys] On-going Clutch Problem

John Snyder helyjohn at cablespeed.com
Fri Jun 18 05:48:17 MDT 2010

Some of you may remember my previous post to the List, and I still have not
resolved the problem.  The clutch was working perfectly b/4 the car went to
the body shop.  I put about 20 miles on the bare chassis (private streets, no
police) and the clutch worked great.  Now, when getting the car out of the
body shop the clutch "drags" and does not fully release.  The chassis sat at
the body shop in a cool, damp corner while the panels were being repaired and
painted.  It is impossible to shift into gear unless it is in gear b/4
starting the engine, and shifting while driving is very hard.  Dave Porter
suggested that I might not have cleaned the protective coating off the face of
the Pressure Plate and that could have messed the Clutch Plate up.  I
carefully cleaned the Pressure Plate even though it looked good, and installed
a new Clutch Plate.  I am completely stumped.  I bleed the hydraulic system,
and there was no air in it.  I pulled the rubber caps off the master and slave
cylinders, and there were no leaks there or anywhere else in the system.

With the engine off, drive shaft disconnected, trans in 4th gear and the
clutch pedal all the way down, I can just barely turn the flange on the rear
of the transmission by hand.

Could someone please give me some advice?  This is my 6th ground up
restoration of 1959 to 1962 A H 3000s, and I have never had this problem b/4.

John Snyder