[Healeys] Steering alignment

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 3 01:31:50 MDT 2010

Dick

The ancestor to the 'big' Healey front suspension and steering was the
A40 Devon. With little modification this was applied to our cars. It was
beefed up from the BN2 on but still basically the same. Originally the
A40 design included adjustable length steering side tubes. This allowed
the high spot in the steering box to be set dead ahead.

Due presumably to a cost reduction exercise, the fixed length side tubes
were introduced on the A40 and A70 in May 1953 (Austin Service Journal
Volume 23 steering 13). Therefore all but perhaps the prototype 100 had
fixed length side tubes and therefore we were 'doomed' to have this
centring problem.

For very bad cases the old adjustable side tubes can still be
occasionally found or new ones can be made up using shortened cross
tubes with new ends.

Regards

--
John Harper