[Healeys] Overheating Healey (closed system)

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Tue Jul 27 07:49:34 MDT 2010

FWIW, on my E-Type, it will ALWAYS overflow if you keep filling it up to the top.  What it wants to do, and what I let it do, is to boil off until it reaches the level it wants--then I do not add more water unless to bring it to that point only.

tom

---- Richard Dryman <rdryman1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
A special radiator cap is NOW not necessary. I worried for 20 years using an
overflow container that would preventembarrassing spots under the parked
Healey;
worked briefly BUT the fluid would not 'suck back'. Return-type caps
were not
available from '85-05 in overflow kits for Healeys {I couldn't find
them!}
HendriX then shared a 'secret?': go to Advance Auto and buy their
overflow kit
that really works. Didn't believe it until I installed it !!!
The key to
suck-back operation is the very thin rubber gasket that the kit
provides for you
to install inside your radiator cap. Earlier kits did not
have this. Goes
between the brass 'gasket' and the radiator inlet.
 I have a
BSME and for the last 5 years I have not figured out why this now
works and
probably never will since I have stopped thinking about it.
PTL, it does work
and is one of my cherished add-ons.
GO FOR IT~~~~~~~