[Healeys] Lucas Distributor questions.

Ron Mitchell healeyron at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 27 06:39:11 MDT 2010

Anyone know where I can purchase the fine mesh wire that is used to
electrically
connect the upper and lower breaker plates of the distributor.
Mine is not in
the best of shape.  I'd like to replace it.

I rebuilt the
Distrutor on my MkII 3000 last night and found that everything
was working
properly.  The Vacuum advance works free and easy.  The Mechanical
advance
mechanism doesn't show any signs of wear and appears to be working
properly.
There is no evidence of shaft wobble.  The bushings are not worn.
One
question I don't have the answer to is, the mounting plate for the
mechanical
advance is marked 15 degrees.  The advance setting spec for my
distrubutor is
15 degrees BTDC.  So at 2500 RPM the specs call for 35
degrees mechanical
advance.   The 15 degree plate and the 15 degree BTDC setting
at 600 RPM adds
up to 30 degrees available advance.  Where does the extra 5 five
degrees come
from?  What am I missing?  The specs on my 100-6 BN6 distributor is
6 degrees
BTDC with a max Mechanical advance of 36 degrees.  It also has a 15
degree
plate that the weights are attached to.  That only adds up to 21
degrees.  I
know some one out there has the answer.

In answer to the closed system.  I
do have a fluid recovery bottle installed so
there isn't a problem with low
fluid level.

Ron Mitchell