[Healeys] Sat. Post Conclave Adventure, Final Leg

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 25 12:53:42 MDT 2010

This AM we awakened with the realization that today would be the final day of
our journey, then back to our normal life. We went outside to be hit in the
face with very warm humid air. It was already approaching 80 deg so we elected
to leave the top up and boy am I glad we did. The temps blew right thru the
80's straight into the high 90's and very humid (welcome back to the East). We
left Abingdon, Va on Hwy 58 E and drove thru some beautiful twisty curvy
mountain roads over to Damascus, Va then turned S on Hwy 16 toward Jefferson,
NC. Any of you living in that area of NC or Va should take this drive on Hwy
58, you won't be sorry. There was a lot of bicycling going on Sat. with stands
on the roadside serving cold beverages to cyclers, some kind of local event I
guess. Also it is popular to have your bike (and you) shuttled up the mountain
and you ride down thru mountain trails. That part of the road is called "The
Virginia Creepers Trail". Hwy 16 in NC follows alongside of the New River for
a while and we came upon Zaloo's Canoes who offers trips down the river. We
saw groups of green tubes (which they rent also) floating down just having a
great and cool time--felt like pulling over and high jacking one. Continuing
down 16 to Wilkesboro we turned onto Hwy 421 to return home by the same route
we began. I am a little less enthusiastic recording this leg of the trip as we
have driven it several times before and it is the end. Having driven other
routes heading this way however we feel this is the most scenic less congested
path to take from Wilkesboro to the east coast of NC. In Yadkinville we headed
S on 601 to Salisbury. I mean it is scorching HOT now. It was time for lunch
so we looked for a shaded parking place with a restaurant attached, an
Appleby's fit the bill so in we went for coolness and an incidental meal.  See
Part 2