[Healeys] Facebook, Healey List, and the Brave New World

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 23:05:59 MDT 2010

Never proposed that we should switch the Healey list to Facebook -- we're
Baby Boomers on this list, in the vast majority I think, so there's no way
that most of the folks here would ever agree. Facebook is on the other side of
that great print world /internet world divide and most of us will never
understand it, but will die before it matters whether or not we understand the
phenomenon that's taking place.

My point was that this list was created and is maintained at great effort
to serve a one specific shared set of interests of a group of people who
could only otherwise communicate by meeting each other personally and then
sharing information one piece at a time to one person at a time. Facebook, for
all its flaws, does that a zillion times a day, with every user participating
in his or her own specially tailored and infinitely responsive network.

There's nothing that says our generation has to participate, or even that
we have to like the visible effects of what has taken place. But refusing to
participate isn't going to change the fact that the change has taken place,
and it is only starting (with the quant-jock created housing/financial
debacle as one example) to have its effects. As the man once said: "you have sown
the wind, and you will reap the whirldwind."   The interesting thing, of
course, is that the millenial, or internet, generation enjoys the breeze.

Cheers
Gary