[Healeys] HD8 Slow Run Valve

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 08:42:08 MDT 2010

Bob -

Controlling idle speed with the screw is very simple - it is a narrow
valve that is highly stable, controlled and consistent.

Using the throttle butterfly, you have issues of throttle linkage,
dissimilar metals (brass, aluminum & steel) and fast idle screw
wobble.

On my BJ8 once I set my rebuilt carbs to factory spec and idle through
the slow idle port (and fully shut throttle plate) it has maintained a
perfect and constant 550 rpm idle for over 40K miles without so much
as a touch from my screwdriver.  Of course I put in a pertronix kit
which made a huge difference too.

Strangely enough, the carb failed because the jet diaphragm finally
went, but I didn't touch the carbs for more than 5 years of almost
daily running.

The carbs are very well designed if set up factory spec.  The little O
rings on the slow idle screw are the key to the success of a proper
tune.

Alan