[Healeys] clutch - Need Help please

PG britishcars at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 17 20:48:32 MDT 2010

A week or two ago I mentioned that I had replaced my throw-out bearing with
a DW roller bearing.   At that time, I also replaced my clutch slave and
spigot Bearing.I did nothing else.

After reinstalling the transmission, I could not change gears.  for some
reason, the input shaft would not stop spinning.   Some advice received from
the list was as follows:

1)       The clutch disk in backwards..I pulled the transmission and
checked..it was ok;

2)      The clutch pedal rod or slave rod were too short...adjusted and are
ok...

3)      Input shaft dragging on the new spigot bearing and as such, when
clutch is depressed, the input shaft keeps spinning.

I pulled the transmission again today and checked everything...clutch is
fine, rods are fine...spigot bearing.not sure.

I honed out the spigot bearing and reinstalled the transmission...   Same
problem...(now I'm really frustrated, pissed off, ready to drive the car
into a lake..except I can't drive it!)

Symptoms:

1)       If I start the car in gear  with the clutch depressed,  the car
will not move and behaves properly (however, still can't change gears).the
clutch engages when the pedal is about half out which tells me that the
clutch itself is working fine.  Length of rods are ok etc etc.

2)      However, I still can't change gears with the car running and the
clutch depressed.   I can force it into gear with some grinding but..

3)      With the driveshaft off, I started the car in 4th gear and the
clutch depressed.   The flange turns quickly and when I try to stop it with
a gloved hand it is difficult..however, when I do manage to stop it, I can
hold it easily.

Hypothosis Conclusion:

1)      The input shaft continues to rub on the spigot bearing..just enough
to turn the input shaft (even with clutch depressed) and thus not allow me
to change gears.

What do I do...I really don't have the energy or heart to pull the
transmission again..I'm pissed off and frustrated..     I thought that
perhaps leaving the car run in 4th gear and the clutch depressed might cause
the spigot bearing and input shaft to wear and give the clearance
necessary...I did this for 10 minutes but did not help..I suppose if I do it
long enough, eventually it has to wear ????

I'm hoping somebody out there has a suggestion.

All this for a $5   f.ing bearing!