[Healeys] Healey value

dwflagg dwflagg at juno.com
Tue Jan 26 09:43:02 MST 2010

bs,

The use of 'zero' is not a figurative term, but rather to illustrate
that, to me, value is not of importance. Even if the cars were relatively
inexpensive, there were still be a need for parts suppliers. I didn't say
parts would be cheap. The cars will still be there and need parts. Just
because they have a depreciated value doesn't mean they will become
extinct. Quite the opposite. A drop in value opens a window for new
enthusiasts to purchase and the cycle begins anew. Supply and demand, I
would think, is based on numbers. If that is true, even at a high value,
our number will peak and as the finite numbers are restored, the demand
for parts will dwindle, leaving a few suppliers and high prices for
parts. Let the free market system work and eventually "value" will
return.

Doug
I don't have data to prove it, but I suspect if Healeys were worth 'zero'
we wouldn't have many parts suppliers and restorers available to help us
out (and most of them would have been scrapped by now anyway).  Then, it
truly would be a rich man's hobby because you'd have to fabricate
anything you needed (like old Duesenbergs).  The cars need to have some
value beyond intrinsic in order to support the hobby.

I watched a bit of B-J recently--anyone else notice Kurt Tanner bidding
on a muscle car (I think)?--it appears the value of the so-called
'customs' (i.e. hot rods) is way down.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

I think it all comes down to whether you own your Healey as an investment
or a because you love the marque. Personally, I wouldn't care if they
were worth zero. The pleasure I get from driving a Healey can't be
measured in dollars. As with anything else, the market and economy will
recover and your "investments" will return to their upward climb. Just
remember, you can't take it with you, so enjoy them while you can. IMHO.

Doug