[Healeys] Gearbox

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 01:15:33 MST 2010

Pat

Sorry but we cannot leave this uncorrected and mislead owners with wrong
information. Many more parts are interchangeable than you indicate.

In general terms the BN1 and A70 and A90 Atlantic gearboxes are all from
the same family. The BN1 is the same basic unit and was developed from
the A70/A90 by fitting and overdrive. This replaces the whole rear end
but also the third motion shaft which is unique to the BN1 and in short
supply. There was obviously changes to fit side change parts but these
are just bolt on and in any case Keith asked about gears.

There are two sets of first motion shaft, laygear and third gear that
only mesh as a set and cannot be mixed. The later set was supposed to be
stronger but this does not appear to be the case.

There are other things to watch out for. The main ones are that early
A70 boxes had shorter first motion shafts. Also the A70 had only an 8"
clutch whereas the A90 and BN1 have 9". To accommodate this a recessed
clutch cross shaft is fitted.

There are other minor things to look out for but the message is never
scrap an A70 or A90 Atlantic box.

Best regards

--
John Harper