[Healeys] Headlamp wiring

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Sat Jan 23 07:18:27 MST 2010

Terry,
You can use the existing original wiring, headlight and dip switch to
switch the relays, these primary circuits are very low current. The
secundary circuit will switch the head lamps straight from the battery,
starter relay or similar point with HD wiring. This secundary circuit
will be additional and needs a much thicker gauge wire to keep the
Voltage up and the heat down.
It is easiest to fit one relay for each dipped light and one relay for
each main beam, so 4 in all.
As the original circuit now will only carry very low current, the
Voltage will stay up, the heat down and also the load on the switches is
very little thus saving them from burning out.
The fuse can be fitted anywhere in the wire between battery and relays
Fit the relays near the headlamps (if inside headlamp cowls, insulate
well) for simplicity and looks, as you wil not have to cut the original
harness.
You can of course use one relay for both dipped beams and one for both
main beams, the relays can easily handle that, but than you have to
modify the original wiring.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL