[Healeys] BN1 rear spring grease nippel

Curt/Nancy Arndt cnaarndt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 08:31:39 MST 2010

Alan,

I'm surprised that owing a '53 BN1 you weren't aware that there are many
more BSF fasteners on your car than say my BN1 built in '55.  Here are a few
examples...

The five way brake pipe union on early BN1s was attached by a 1/4" BSF bolt
to a captive nut in the chassis.  The rear spring shackle screws (The
countersunk slotted screws) that hold the rear leaf springs together were
1/4" BSF.  Your original brass battery fixing rods would have been BSF plus
more that are listed in the Clausager Original AH book.

I wouldn't be surprised if the grease nipples on the rear springs weren't
changed to UNF much later, say in Feb '54 with the new eight leaf rear
springs fitted.  *Heck the front susupension grease nipples didn't change to
UNF until Dec. '55 on the BN2!*

Easiest way to check is the bolt head (before you use a thread gauge.) If
it's a proper British bolt with the Vendor name on it and the letter rating
code but it doesn't have the circle depression stamped into the head, It is
then it's most likely BSF.

Cheers,

Curt