[Healeys] Seam sealing extent

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Fri Feb 19 03:48:40 MST 2010

When the car is painted only little primer/paint will end up in (these
lower) seams. Using the correct type of Waxoil, Tectyl or similar in the
cavities will also protect most seams and if you apply some externaly on
the seams you have 100% coverage. It has a high penetration in the seams
and if applied properly (just a mist will do) will not crack. Make sure
no water can be trapped in cavities by drilling 1/2" holes in the lowest
points (front and rear) and remove the ex- and  internal burs. In most
cars these holes are already present or there are raised parts in the
welding flanges of the seam to create a channel. Insert a suitable bar
in the hole and move the bar backwards to lower the front of the hole
and raise the rear. This creates a slight vacuum on the move and will be
the cause of some air circulation in the cavity.
Clear these holes or channels regularly to keap them open. Repeat the
Waxoil treatment every 2 years or so.
Kees Oudesluijs