[Healeys] Air Intake Assembly Diameter

bighealey3k at aim.com bighealey3k at aim.com
Mon Dec 20 10:32:06 MST 2010

Jack,  Many years ago I had the same idea on my BJ8 as to increase the air
flow through the left hand fresh air duct too.  I noticed that the right hand
side heater blower housing could have the motor assembled on either side of
the housing.  So I took a heater blower from a junked Healey at a wrecking
yard and reversed the assembly of the motor and housing so I could mount the
blower on the left hand inner fender in a mirror image of the right side.  I
found that the blower cage turned in the wrong direction to eject the air out
of the outlet in an efficient manner, so I opened up the motor housing and
reversed the wiring to the field windings and was able to reverse the
direction of the motor rotation too.  Then I had the problem of the hose on
the left side of the car being larger in diameter than the one on the heater
side.  I made shims out of aluminum strips and built up the diameter of the
hose conections on the blower housing and firewall connection so I could used
the same original hose.  I used a toggle switch on an accessory switch panel
to control it.  I don't remember the size of the hose or the inner diameter of
the hose connection at the firewall.  I do remember a mention of some one on
the list mounting a small fan in the inlet at the firewall to boost the air
flow and there were pictures, but can't find it in the archives.  Maybe you
can give it a try or someone on the list will remember.

Larry
'67 BJ8