[Healeys] Carb. Fiber Washer Question - Jag - not healey

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 03:08:37 MST 2010

Jonas -

I have a '59 Mk IX with twin HD6s + the starter carb.  It is very similar in
set up & age to your XK 150.

The fibre washers will eventually seal, you just have to tighten them with a
little twist, probably twice over a couple of months/500 miles type of
thing.  I figure it's easier to tighten them up then pull the bloody thing
apart again and use sealant.

Note that the starter cab is an open system and, depending on how hard you
drive your car, the carb will splash fuel out of the top and leak to the
bottom of the AED & the carb it's attached to.  It can look like the fibre
washers are leaking when in fact it's the fuel coming out of the top of the
AED (starter carb) and wicking into the fibre washers at the bottom of the
AED.

Note that the carbs use BSP threads to anchor the banjo fittings into the
aluminum carbs.  This means you can put quite a bit of pressure on them to
seal them up without worrying about stripping threads in the Ali carbs.
 Generally speaking you should be safe up to about 35 ft-lbs or so of
pressure (medium to medium hard hand pressure on your spanner).

The best way to use your AED is to bypass the Lucas Otter switch, and do a
manual toggle switch to ground.  I use it this way on my AED and keep it off
most of the time, and when I do turn it on I only turn it on for about 10-20
seconds to get the car running.

Cheers,

Alan