[Healeys] Rivets and assumptions

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 09:23:36 MST 2010

I have a (late) MkII BT7. With rivets.
Yes, rivets slightly yellowed in comparison to chrome of rims.
No, the clips held on by the rivets do hold the rims to my Healey. (But, who
knows if my Lucases are the originals but they'd appear to be. Hate to
contradict a Wise One).
My rims were showing their age. I couldn't find a decent pair of
replacements. (Over some years of on/off rather desultory looking). Either
too short or marginally too big so needed to be screwed up too tight or just
plain rubbish. Did see some riveted ones at some stage, but NBG.
So the tatty old things kept going back onto the car. (Too badly dented for
repair and rechrome).
Then I found a pair that were right shape but rivetless. Took clips out of
originals, doctored new rims, put old rivets and clips into new rims. Looks
fine. Hopefully a good working compromise. Need to be fairly delicate in
order to preserve enough of the rivets' "stalk" to keep it usable.
Simon