[Healeys] Car lifts

Carr&Edwards scvc70 at epix.net
Thu Dec 2 09:20:13 MST 2010

Last spring we purchased a hydraulic scissors lift from Total Tool in
Castleton-on-Hudson, NY (Albany area) after looking at the one on display at
the Rhinebeck, NY, car show.   This one was made by Quality Lifts
(Louisville, KY -- but TT website currently lists only one made by Mohawk --
maybe they've changed brands?)  Width between outer edges of lift framework
is 39-1/2", so any post-war British car can drive over it--but we did have
to make 3" thick ramps out of some 10' 2x8s left over from house
construction so our MGB-GT's exhaust system would clear the swing-out arms
when driving over the unit (it has no more ground clearance than a Healey).
The lift locks at heights from 2 to 5 feet, and so far we're pleased with
it, though we haven't used it a great deal (summer is outdoor, not workshop,
time here in northeastern PA).  The lift is heavy and does take some effort
to roll around on the floor (you'd need a trailer to pick it up
yourself--but Total Tool assembles and tests each lift and then delivers it
and gives operating instructions.)  Website: Total-Tool.com; our
sales rep. was Chris Holmes (800) 677-8685.

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA (looking forward to
  winter in the workshop)