[Healeys] Solenoids and other new parts

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Wed Aug 25 14:14:35 MDT 2010

In a message dated 8/25/10 11:22:31 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> Richard -
>
> At the end of the day, a solenoid is a pretty simple piece of kit.
> There's
> nothing really that can go wrong if it's just sitting around.
>
> I'd cycle it a few times using some little electronic jumpers to check the
> operation.  If it works then spray a little WD 40 inside of it, wait for
> the
> WD 40 to dry out, put it in a sealed bag and keep it in your boot.  It
> should last forever.
>
> Alan

I'll pass on some advice I once received from a practical sort of a guy
regarding carrying new parts as spares: If you're sure that your old part is
still functional, remove it and replace it with the new part. Drive the car to
make sure that the new part is also functional -- worst thing in the world
is to discover on the side of the road that that shiny new part in your kit
is either not functional or isn't the correct part -- and then you can put
either one back into your on-board spare parts kit. (If the part isn't
"original spec" I just leave the new part on, figuring it will outlast the old
one, but I carry the old one, since I know it fits and will get me home).

BTW (by the way), YMMV means "your mileage may vary" or, in other words,
your guess is as good as mine. But in that Canadian context, would it mean
"Your massage may vary"? I didn't even know that Canadians knew about
massages.

Cheers
Gary