[Healeys] 3-rd brake light

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Apr 20 08:24:53 MDT 2010

The first generation 3-rd brake lights were over the rear screen of cars
and could be noticed through the rear screen and wind screen of the
following car by drivers behind this following car, thus effectively
reducing pile ups in dense traffic.
However later on exceptions were made to allow the 3-rd brake light on
the rear deck in some applications, e.g. convertables and now some have
the even lower on the rear edge of the trunk, out of sight for the
drivers behind the following car. Many non- convertable cars now have
the 3-rd brake light  on or below the lower edge of the rear screen,
thus loosing the originally intended effect.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL