[Healeys] 3-rd brake light

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 07:08:31 MDT 2010

A lot of the problem with LBCs in general is that the lens and socket
setup do not have anything that reflects and diffuses the light coming
from the bulb as modern systems have.  So even making them a bit
brighter using halogen bulbs has little effect.  Couple that with the
stock lights being so low and in some cases partially blocked by the
bumper and it is a recipe to not be seen when braking and signaling.
On my MG TD I have added additional brake and turn signal lights on top
of the gas tank using bright halogen spot bulbs with reflectors for
lenses.  I've also done this on my BT7 with the additional lights
mounted behind where the reflectors are.  I have been followed for long
distances in the TD and have been told that the higher, brighter lights
make a considerable difference.  In fact the follower wondered if the
the stock lights were still working, because all he noticed were the
higher brighter ones.
In both cases my installation looks like it belongs on the car with no
extra holes drilled in the car or anything added that might scratch the
paint.  I feel that they both add a large measure of safety with no
downside of being ugly or out of place.
Charlie

Greg Lemon wrote:
> This is from fuzzy memory, but I think there may have been some
> studies on the thrid brake light that they were highly noticed by
> other drivers when introduced so they thought it would be a good idea
> to use them on all cars, but when, as time went on and most all cars
> had them, much of that extra noticability went away.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of mgcharlie.vcf]