[Healeys] O/D Relay switch

jwj-scj at cox.net jwj-scj at cox.net
Thu Apr 8 16:21:49 MDT 2010

Hey Paul,

Let me start a blizzard of input for you. I think of a Healey transmission as a six speed transmission. I dis-able the the relay so I can control the transmission through the top two gears with the clutch, the overdrive switch and the accelerator. Most people think I am nuts for using the equipment as it was not intended. But, I've never blown a transmission or an overdrive in 40 years of owning a Healey and I think I have a lot more fun in the process.

Perhaps it is a question of how one is driving their Healey. If one is driving the twisties (i.e. the Tail of the Dragon at speed) or the boulevards at a  leisurely pace of 2500-3000 rpm, then the set-up might make a difference.

Incidentally, I am a clutch man. I am a firm believer of using the two overdrive gears just as if they are two additional gears in the gearbox. I engage the overdrive with the clutch and the switch, simultaneously  matching the engine RPM's to the speed of the car, the engaging and dis-engaging of the overdrive always between 2000 and 2200 RPM's.

I suggest you try removing the relay from the equation. If you don't like it', you can always return to the original set-up.

Joe