[Healeys] Champions(again)

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Sep 28 13:32:10 MDT 2009

You are correct that Pertronics (and similar systems) is an electronic
set of "points", however the voltage for the spark is higher with the
same coil because appearantly the speed of switching is higher than with
points. This will cause a faster change in the magnetic field causing a
higher voltage. This is also the reason you should do away with the
shorting of the inline balast resistor of the coil (if fitted) during
start up to increase the voltage of the coil, as during start up the
voltage will drop because of the heavy drain by the starter. It will
save your Pertronics.

Always keep the resitance of coil or coil plus resistor over 3 Ohms. If
you do not do this you may suffer a burn out of your Pertronics. Most
people and professional garages tend to ignore this.  In fact Pertronics
undeservedly got a bad reputation because of this.

In 9 out of 10 cases I see the electronic ignition wired in wrongly,
e.g. directly to the coil if a balast resistor is fitted or using a 1,5
Ohm coil if no balast resistor is fitted. People simply do not check.
The small wire from the starter or starter solenoid shorting the ballast
resistor during starting never ever gets disconnected.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL