[Healeys] No Healey-- Dust Clouds down under

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 24 17:32:58 MDT 2009

G'day Bob

It really was terrible. Apart from when I was serving Queen and country I have
lived in Sydney all my life and have never seen anything like it.

Woke up Wednesday morning to a red sky and eerie pink light. I live in the
Blue Mountains west of Sydney and everything was covered with red dust and I
mean everything, both inside and out. As the day progressed the wind just got
stronger and stronger with the amount of dust increasing. It was the day that
the outback came to town - literally.

I had to go out during the day and used the car that is usually parked
outside. No I couldn't see through the screen and the washers/wipers turned it
into red mud. Everywhere I went there were cars with clear arches on their
screens with everything else red.

Of course it was all over the TV with warnings for people with respiratory
problems to stay indoors.

Yesterday was cleanup day with some people queuing for hours at car wash
facilities. We spent half the day hosing and washing down. The inside needed
it too, with mops and buckets at the fore. What really pissed me off was that
I had spray painted some outdoor furniture over the weekend and had only
placed them back in the garden Tuesday afternoon.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia