[Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 12 19:24:59 MDT 2009

Belleville washers are not going to help keep shock bolts tight. Proper
tightening, using flat washers, will do the trick.  It is the stretch of the
bolt (tension) that keeps things tight. If a bolt is coming loose, a split
washer, or spring washer, or belleville washer will not save the bolt from
getting loose. Use propert torque (tension) to do it right. If it is in a high
vibration environment, then use locktight and then torque it properly.
Richard

> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:18:31 -0700
> From: bspidell at comcast.net
> To: steveg at abrazosdata.com
> CC: healeys at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut
>
> Sounds reasonable.  Split lockwashers gouge into the aluminum casting, thus
> relieving some of the tension on the bolt.  Belleville washers make more
> sense--if they're a larger diameter you're also applying more clamping
force,
> just like a hardened flatwashwer.  The spring load would keep tension on the
> bolt, keeping it from loosening (like the locktite).
>
> My objection to drilling out the shock mounting holes for oversized bolts is
> that you're removing metal from the already crack-prone mounting flange.
>

> bs
>

> Steve B. Gerow wrote:
> > FWIW - my car has 3 10mm x 1.5 bolts added by a PO and I've been using
spring steel belleville washers under all the