[Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut

richard mayor mayorrichard at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 12 19:18:44 MDT 2009

Belleville washers are cupped washers. For example, there are six of them, 3
sets, in the steering boxes of our Healeys. They act like springs when placed
opposite each other. In the steering box they exert pressure on the upper part
of the pitman arm that is inside the box. It keeps the tension on the pin
pressed into the worm gear so it tracts smothly. When you adjust the box with
the slotted screw and jamb nut on top, it compresses the 3 sets of belleville
washers as the pin is pressed lower into the worm gear.  Richard