[Healeys] Exhaust system advice needed

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Thu Sep 10 02:06:20 MDT 2009

What strikes me is that a lot of people have changed their exhaust
system for a more free flowing/louder set up and claim they have
increased power. True/false? It feels faster because of the noise but in
reallity hardly ever is, because neccessary alterations on the carb side
are and probably ignition are ignored, not to mention the possibly
neccessary changes in camshaft timing. These all need to be reset as the
free flowing exhaust only will upset the overall balance in the engine
settings.
Just try to drive without exhaust system (free flow in extremis) and see
what happens. It will seriously affect drivability.
The so called improvement is often observed compared with a rotten
exhaust in the first place.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL