[Healeys] Exhaust system advice needed

Rick Swain rjswain at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 8 06:52:55 MDT 2009

I'm looking for recommendations for a new exhaust system for my BN4. My old
system included Walker down pipes (which had been cut up and rewelded but
seemed to be okay), a Walker muffler (quite banged up underneath but still
intact) and stainless rear pipes (hanger brackets had been cut off and
relocated - don't know why - and appearing to be somewhat out of alignment).
I decided to reuse the down pipes but bought a new mild steel muffler and rear
pipes. The muffler was about an inch thicker than the Walker and the bracket
forced it into a position that was really close to the ground. The down pipes
looked pretty crude and the brackets didn't line up with the hangers - one was
even on the wrong pipe! Cost of sending it back made me decide to keep it.
Five hours work and the system fit - more or less - but it was closer to the
ground than I would have liked.
When I went to use the system I discovered that it absolutely howled between
2000 and 2300 rpm. The howl went away but it sounded like a truck rather than
a Healey.
I went to Plan B and tried to resurrect the old system. Another 5 hours work
and it fit - more or less. The sound is much better but it still sits too low.
I can't get it to tuck up into the recesses in the outriggers like it should.
Problem is mostly the rear pipes - they have just been buggered about with too
much and I guess the down pipes and the modifications made to them.
This is getting long - sorry. What I'm looking for is recommendations based on
experience of a system that fits properly and sounds good. I have a new set of
Walker down pipes so what can I add to these to get something that works?
Thanks
Rick'59 BN4